Thread: Problem with FormMail

Default Problem with FormMail

Need help. I did a search but couldn't find the answer to my questions.

I have uploaded and changed the fields to use the FormMail in my website. I tested it and so far no problem sending emails using the form. But two problems arise:

1. I renamed the sampleform.htm to contact_form.htm. In the 'subject' part, I changed the value to as below:
    <input type="hidden" name="subject" value="Message from Contact Form" />
    But when I tested it and check my email account, there is no message in the subject heading.

2. Is there a way to change the wording of the default thankyou page and add a link in that page?

3. I read in the post that it is possible to redirect to my own thankyou page using good_url. So I created a file called thanks.htm. Then I added the script in my contact_form.htm, just below the subject tagline as:
    <input type="hidden" name="good_url" value="http://www.academic.frih.net/thanks.htm" />.
    I tried sending a message via the form but got an error message asking me to fill in name and email address (which I already did).

Please help. Thank you very much.

Default Re: Problem with FormMail

The subject should be working. Does it never show even when the email is opened?

On two and three the replacement thank you message should be in the template folder. The line should just have the name of the file. example.
    HTML Code:
    <input type="hidden" name="good_template" value="thanks.htm" />
    You would of course have to have the template folder url set up in formmail.php. The fthanks.htm would have to be in that template folder. The extension for template does not have to be htm it can be tpl or probably anything else you want to call it.

You could have your form named thanks.htm then in the template forlder have thanks.tpl for the custom results page, bad_thanks.tpl for a custom bad page, and mail_thanks.tpl for your htm email template. I find this an easy way to find forms and templates that go together and know which template is which.
    Last edited by david_de; 21-Oct-2006 at 02:58 PM.

Thank you for your reply.
    1. Yes, even when the email is opened, the subject line is (none).

2. I am a little bit lost. The Html code you wrote would go into my contact_form.htm, right?
    And, when you say template folder, what do you mean? There is only two files - one is my contact_form.htm and the other is formmail.php.
    Do I have to create a folder in the server directory and call it 'template'?
    And how do you set template folder url in formmail.php?
    Could you please explain to me step by step what to do?

Thank you.

Set up one folder and call it what every you want but you will need that path and name in your form and formmail.php. Then have another seperate folder for your templates. It would be like www.yoursite.com/forms/formtemplates Put the forms and formmail.php and if you set it up fmbadhandler.php in the "forms" folder. Now your custome thank you or what ever page goes in "forms/fmtemplates" then you have to set your form up for that file.

Here are some settings in one of my forms to give you an idea. Formmail.php has the location of the templates so all it needs is the template name.
    HTML Code:
      <input type="hidden" name="bad_url" value="fmbadhandler.php" />
              <input type="hidden" name="this_form" value="feedback.php" />
              <input type="hidden" name="good_template" value="feedback.tpl" />
              <input type="hidden" name="bad_template" value="feedback_err.tpl" />
              <input type="hidden" name="mail_options"
    value="HTMLTemplate=feedback_mail.tpl,TemplateMissing=N/A" />
    The following setting is in formmail.php

PHP Code:
    $TEMPLATEDIR "fmtemplates";                    // directory for template files; empty string
                                        // if you don't have any templates 

Thread Information