Thread: Suggestions from a Newbie

Wink Suggestions from a Newbie

First of all, I want to thank you for a great program, and fabulous support. Not even considering that this program is FREE, the support was terrific. I found the documentation good enough so that I was able to get my form working almost completely on my own (with some struggling and false starts, I must admit). And I was a total beginner to anything server-side although I have done some programming in the past. I found the sample templates and forms a lifesaver! I do have some suggestions about places where I got confused.

1) I was confused by the html template documentation. It implies that all fields on the form are required if you use an html template and therefore you must use TemplateMissing=(something) to allow for the circumstance that the user has not entered a value in a field. I found that "NoEmpty" works perfectly, and you don't have to see field=(something) if the user has not filled in a field.

Suggestion: Clarify the html template documentation so that it's clear that noempty works to prevent unfilled fields from showing up on the output.

2) I struggled with the conditions statements, but I finally got them figured out.

Suggestion: More complex examples with real code examples. Make note of the fact that while multiple conditions statements are allowed, if there are multiple errors in separate conditions statements, the first error that occurs will prevent subsequent conditions statements from being executed, although all errors in the current conditions statement will be processed.

3) I sometimes had difficulty finding what I was looking for, even though I had found something here on a previous visit.

Suggestion: Make the navigator on the left of the main page a bit more detailed. Perhaps sub categories?

4) Probably because I am a novice at server-side stuff, and I don't know Unix at all, I had a very hard time figuring out how templatedir worked. I finally did, but what wasn't clear to me was exactly how to specify templatedir.

Suggestion: none really, maybe just emphasize how exactly the templatedir must match what's in the form. I knew relative address wasn't allowed, but I got confused about /home/blah/templatedir and http://www.mysite.com/templatedir

Default Re: Suggestions from a Newbie

Hi,

Thanks for all your good suggestions.

They will be taken into account for future versions of FormMail and the website.
    Russell Robinson - Author of Tectite FormMail and FormMailDecoder
    http://www.tectite.com/

Thread Information