Thread: messages go into junk e-mail folder

Default messages go into junk e-mail folder

Is it possible to make all messages from my form show up from the same address? What is happening is that if I send a contact message from my form, it often goes into Junk E-mail in Outlook. Any suggestions would be appreciated..Thanks.

Default Re: messages go into junk e-mail folder

I tripped over this one too. The problem is that the email has a different "From" address from the "Return-Path", so Outlook's junk email filter assumes it's junk.

I added the email address of the "Return-Path" to my Outlook Safe-senders list, and it's now working. On my system this is the email address for my company at my website hosting company.

To find it, right-click on the message in Outlook and select "Options" then scroll to the bottom of the "Internet headers" panel.

Hope this helps

Thanks for the reply! I also figured out you can set up a rule under "rules and alerts". You can set it up to take any message with the subject name(in my case "Contact Us") and deliver it to a specific folder.

Eric

Eric,
    I've been grappling with this all day ('cause my fix didn't work for all my colleagues).

There is one other way I've got working, which is to use "Email" as the form name for that field, and then set "email" (note the difference) as a hidden field with a value of (for example) webform@mydomain.com.

Then the messages come from the form with the name of the submitter, but the sender is always "webform@mydomain.com", or whatever you've set it to. Then you can add that email address to Outlook's "Safe senders" list and it'll never get consigned to the Junk folder.

There is a downside, though. 'cause if you just hit "reply" the reply mail will go to "webform@..." and not the form submitter... you have to get their Email address from the field in the form. So if you do this it's worth making the "webform@..." address a false one so that if someone simply replies to a form, the email willl bounce back and hopefully the sender will realise the problem.

I did try using the FormMail.php Sendmail -f option to force "sender" and "from" to be the same. Sadly my server helpfully adds a message to the email header to say, in effect, that the "from" field had been spoofed - so any antispam software worth its salt (even Outlook) looks at it and says "it's spam" and consigns it to junk. So that wasn't a solution.

I also tried your suggestion of using a rule, but the spam processing kicks in before the rules, so I lost the message before the rules executed.

Mike

Doh! I've just realised, of course, that you can do the same thing with "realname" and force it to a single value. That way the form message will always come from whatever you've set the value of realname (email) to be.

Downside is you can't reply to the form message. Upside is you can get it past your spam filter.

Mike

Thread Information