Thread: CSV and leading zeros

Default CSV and leading zeros

The default display option in Excel drops leading zeros in cells with numbers when opening a CSV file (01045 is displayed as 1045). The user has to first realize the displayed numbers are wrong then reformat the cells to "zip code" to force display of the leading zeros.

Can we have an option in FormMail to force Excel to properly display cells that have numbers with leading zeros when the file is opened? I first noticed this in an online application form for a real estate loan I developed for one of my sites. The csv file is opened and reviiewed and then loaded into the loan company's inhouse processing system. The loan officers are not particularly computer savvy and don't want the bother of changing formats, as trivial as it might seem.

There were no responses to my Forum question on the issue and I found only one other question relating to it - puzzling to me that this is not a more common issue. I had to PM Russell to get some help and I very much appreciate his efforts.

Thanks,
    DocRocks

Default Re: CSV and leading zeros

Hi Doc, after reading your thread - I just realised I have the same problem in my stored csv file. All phone numbers are missing the leading zeros, for example my phone code '01653' becomes '1653'. Would you mind posting the solution on this one if you still have it available?

Kind Regards,

Mark

The answer is in my initial post - its an Excel display problem. The zero is apparently in the data but not displayed. Russell told me about reformatting to zipcode as a hack to overcome it. Apparently, not fixable in the Formmail script since it has no control over the users Excel.

Hi Doc, thanks for the response. I was having a play this morning with this. I seem to have it working now. What I did was downloaded the csv from my server opened it up in excel, selected the whole TELEPHONE column, then right clicked and selected FORMAT CELLS then selected TEXT. This leaves all the text (even zeros) in place. Re-uploaded the csv file and all seems fine now.

Thanks for your help

Mark

Thread Information