Thread: 8.11: realname value not applied to default email (no email supplied)

Question 8.11: realname value not applied to default email (no email supplied)

Due to possible strict sender policy framework (SPF) settings: -all (instead of the spf wizard generated ~all) a domain its spf records can specify that not any other server is allowed to sent mail than the servers listed in their spf records, we never sent out form results from the user-filled-out email address, instead we always sent out forms from an controlled email address and add the senders as a reply-to (replyto) address. In such a case there is no field email field specified, only a replyto and a realname. In this case, the realname value, is not applied to default sender: World Wide Web Server . It would still be handy to see the filled out realname in your e-mail client application. Workaround: create a hidden email field. However I don't like workarounds, would the author of the script please consider applying the realname value to the default sender, when email is not supplied in the form submission?

Default Re: 8.11: realname value not applied to default email (no email supplied)

Hi,

SPF, if not implemented correctly, can creates some issues.

Note that according to RFC4408, the "MAIL FROM" is the email address to be checked against SPF records.

The "MAIL FROM" is the reverse path of the address, or, in other words, the actual email address that's sending the email to a server.

This is not the "From:" line in the email headers. It's the "Return-path:" header line and this cannot usually be set by PHP or other scripts. The Return-path is set by the server that's sending the email.

FormMail has some settings to help influence the setting of Return-path where possible (FROM_USER, SENDMAIL_F_OPTION, FIXED_SENDER, INI_SET_FROM, etc).

In the normal case, your FormMail installation sends you email from your server with a Return-path set to some address on your server (maybe apache@yourhostname.com) and the From line in the email header is set using the form submitter's "email" and "realname" field values.

All of this should not affect the acceptance of the email based on SPF.

Remember, your server is sending you email. So, a correct SPF set up for your domain should accept the email regardless of the From address in the email.

So, if I'm understanding your post correctly, there's nothing that needs to be changed in FormMail.

If you're having problems with receiving form results when the From: address is set to the submitter of the form, you need to resolve that problem.

It might be a faulty SPF setup for your domain, or it might be a faulty spam filter that looks at From: instead of Return-path:, or it might be that the Return-path is not a valid email address on your server.
    Russell Robinson - Author of Tectite FormMail and FormMailDecoder
    http://www.tectite.com/

Default Re: 8.11: realname value not applied to default email (no email supplied)

Quote Originally Posted by cj0 View Post
    ...In such a case there is no field email field specified, only a replyto and a realname. In this case, the realname value, is not applied to default sender: World Wide Web Server . It would still be handy to see the filled out realname in your e-mail client application. Workaround: create a hidden email field...
    Where is the "World Wide Web Server" text being set/configured? It is appearing before the email address of the sender in my forms and I'd like to remove it. Thankx!

Hi,

The From line is generated by FormMail using the "email" and "realname" fields.

If your form does not submit these, then FormMail doesn't set the From line.

In this case, it will be your mail server that's setting it.

Odd enough is that if I use realname as a field my mail server generates the email From address. If I give realname another name, formmail will use email field as the from address. What have I got going there?

Hi,

FormMail generates the From line using both "realname" (as a header line comment) and "email" (as the email address).

However, it skips the From line if you haven't provided the "email" field (because a From line *must* have an email address - that's the internet standard).

If you don't have "realname", then the From line will just contain the value of the "email" field.

This is all normal and correct behaviour.

Note, however, that your server can prevent FormMail from creating a From line, and some servers actually do this.

Since I'm on a shared server for this project my bet is that the server is not allowing realname to be used, at least the way it's coming out by formmail. The server is using sendmail for what that's worth but it seems odd that a little auto responder script I'm using allows the realname to be used. I've had this happen on 4 sites. Formmail is a real gem btw. Thanks for the hard work.
    Steve

Hi,

OK, well that's pretty good evidence that there shouldn't be a problem.

Maybe it's the format that FormMail uses by default.

A recent new feature allows you to choose other formats for the From line.

It's called FromLineStyle and you can read about it here:
    http://www.tectite.com/fmdoc/creating_forms.php

Try a few different ones until you find one that works.

That solved the problem completely. I'm sorry I hadn't found that earlier and had to bother you. You da' man!
    Take care,
    Steve

Thread Information