Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: prevent csv entries from same IP?

Default Re: prevent csv entries from same IP?

No, if its a voting situation we want to avoid multiple entries from the same person....

By use of the X-Forwarded-For HTTP header, the IP can be easily spoofed, and since the attacker doesn't care if they get a response back, they will have circumnavigated your attempt to detect IPs using REMOTE_ADDR. Now, I am not so much a "hacker", but this kind of info (and more) is widely available online. So yes, IPs can be spoofed. Another way that an IP can be "spoofed" is for an attacker to relay their requests to your server via a open proxy server. Their request then shows that it is originating from a different IP. Then, the more probable way that an attacker would get different IPs is to use their bot army to hammer away at your site. All these things considered (and this is not all of the ways to change IPs), you should never rely on IP addresses for verification or authentication if the nature of what you are trying to protect is important to you.

As far as authentication goes, this was in general referring to having user accounts and making somebody log-in before sending a message to you. This may or may not be a solution, but probably hinges on the fact that you may or may not require anonymous users or unknown people to send messages. If you are not savvy with php, then setting up effective and secure user authentication is probably way over your head. If you should require my services, my hourly rate is fairly reasonable. $50USD per hour.

By use of the X-Forwarded-For HTTP header, the IP can be easily spoofed
    i knew about the rest, but not that HTTP header

just did some research and REMOTE_ADDR always contains the IP address of the machine making the connection to the server - it cannot be spoofed

but wot ur saying is it's not much use 'coz of networks of bots or easy changes to ip addr or relaying thru open proxies, etc. etc.

i don't think X-Forwarded-For bears any relationship to ip blocking because it can be spoofed, as u said

btw, i never thought ip blocking was a good idea - i just answered the OP's question

thx 4 the extra info

Thread Information