Thread: 1&1 hosting - formmail ini file problem SOLVED

Smile 1&1 hosting - formmail ini file problem SOLVED

Reference my post HERE:

http://www.tectite.com/vbforums/showthread.php?p=19782

I have partly resolved the problem, but without a sensible explanation - in my ini file I changed the order of

$TARGET_EMAIL = array("^info@mysite\.org$");
    $DEF_ALERT = "errors@mysite.org"

to

$DEF_ALERT = "errors@mysite.org"

I am unable to specify more than one email address in $TARGET_EMAIL, which I cannot understand, but that as I can use forwarding to multiple addresses with 1&1 it is a minor issue.

I'm polishing up my template files and hope to be able to go live very soon.

Having got this far I am very impressed. We can't afford $95AUS as we are running our site voluntary basis - but what superb documentation. Credit to Russell on that point.

I'll leave this thread open so I can update it if I ever find out what the issue is/was.

Kevin

Default Re: 1&1 hosting - formmail ini file problem SOLVED

Hi,

You closed your earlier post....if you hadn't done that, someone might have responded with help earlier.

These settings don't go in the INI file:
    PHP Code:
    $TARGET_EMAIL = array("^info@mysite\.org$");
    $DEF_ALERT "errors@mysite.org" 
    Also DEF_ALERT doesn't look like that at all.

I think you've misunderstood the documentation (maybe it isn't as superb as it should be )

Please re-read the HOW TO guide on INI files, and check the documentation for the configuration section in FormMail:The best steps are:

1. Get the basic form working with FormMail. Ideally, use the Configuration Wizard to get correct initial files.
    2. Follow the steps in the HOW TO guide for INI files to replace your working settings with more secure settings. That's really just changing the "recipients" field (and maybe the "required" field) in your HTML with different values.

Anything else is likely not work and just be confusing.

I hope that helps.
    Russell Robinson - Author of Tectite FormMail and FormMailDecoder
    http://www.tectite.com/

Hi,

BTW, the $95 you mentioned is for our FormMailEncoder/Decoder encryption product.

That price has nothing to do with FormMail, which is completely free.

And the Configuration Wizard starts at $14.95 for 7 days access.

Update:-

Thanks to Russell for his prompt responses and the information.

Working backwards through the thread - yes, I did misunderstand/misread the pricing! I wish I hadn't misunderstood as at $14.95 (for 7 days access) that really represents excellent value for money. However as I am so close to having a working solution I want to persevere with it and try and save myself the measly $14.95, though in return, the least I can do is to complete a Spanish language file. And please don't tell me one already exists for Castellano Spanish - I could only see one for Argentinian Spanish!

I omitted to say that I live in the foothills of the Sierra Nevada in southern Spain, and while formmail.php is uploading from here you have enough time to both make and drink a cup of coffee. To save time I made the following changes to it:

Commented out line 256, which defines $TARGET_EMAIL
    Commented out line 259, which defines "DEF_ALERT"
    Inserted "include('config.ini');" into line 3 (previously an empty line)

I then created config.ini as follows:
    <?php
    define("DEF_ALERT","errors@mysite.org");
    ?>

The new config.ini is uploaded to the same directory as formmail.php.

This helped me try different permutations of $TARGET_EMAIL and DEF_ALERT and only required the upload of a small file when changes were made.

This is presumably why I cannot specify more than one recipient, so now I have it working (no thanks to 1&1) I will now revert back to the original file. If anyone else uses this method I strongly advise them to use it only temporarily, and get back to a vanilla formmail.php to avoid ambiguity and confusion as soon as possible.
    I think you've misunderstood the documentation (maybe it isn't as superb as it should be )
    Russell, the documentation is superb. Your problems stem from people like me (sorry) and the requirement to pitch the help files to people with different knowledge/experience levels.

Again, thanks to Russell for his obvious patience and dedication to the provision of first class support.

Kevin

Hi,

Thanks for the kind words.

Commented out line 256, which defines $TARGET_EMAIL
    Commented out line 259, which defines "DEF_ALERT"
    Inserted "include('config.ini');" into line 3 (previously an empty line)
    I understand what you were trying to do now. Your "INI" file has a different function to FormMail's INI file concept.

You're trying to get FormMail's configuration section (or at least part of it) into a separate file. Right?

The good news is that we have this feature planned. It will allow you to change a smaller file, but also allow you to have different configuration sections for different HTML forms.

There are a few challenges to overcome to achieve this.

In particular, we have to change all the configuration settings that use "define". That's because in PHP there's no way to first "un-define" a value to "re-define" it.

So, it's some time away, but it is coming.

Thread Information