Thread: FormMail not working, other mail delayed / not working - anyone else?

Default FormMail not working, other mail delayed / not working - anyone else?

Hey everyone,

Here's the situation now.... I'm hosted on Yahoo Small Business server. With help from here, made changes to the HTML & PHP files and got the forms to work last week (YEA! KUDOS!) - plain text Forms were sending, etc.

I created an HTML Template file to format the form responses. I modified the PHP file with the requisite info for folders that hold the templates & I modified the Form HTML's "mail_options" to use the template, missing fields=n/a, etc.

I tried it and it was telling me 'Success!' and the mail was sent to the appropriate address... or so i thought. They never showed up. OR they were delayed for hours! For some reason, something is delaying the mail (called "Deferred" in their headers).... I went back and removed the information I added (going back to square 1) and now that won't even work.

The really weird thing, is that now no PHP mail script (not even a simple one) will send mail in between the domain emails at all! The PHP testmail scripts don't even work - I've tried all three!!! I'm not even getting a failure message to the DEF_ALERT setting.

I've been in touch with Yahoo! support (for hours) and they were helpful, but clueless - and now it is with their engineers to see what is wrong. On top of it, they are able to send a PHP email, from a script on our domain, to their own email addy - but we can't internally!?!? (and yes, we've turned off spam, etc.)

Has anyone ever run into anything like this or know what might have caused this???

Kyle

Here's a copy of an email header...
    -----------------------------------------------
    ----- Transcript of session follows -----
    contact@mydomain.com... Deferred
    Warning: message still undelivered after 4 hours
    Will keep trying until message is 5 days old
    Reporting-MTA: dns; p8db2.geo.sp2.yahoo.com
    Arrival-Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2010 15:13:43 -0700 (PDT)

Final-Recipient: RFC822; kyle@mydomain.com
    Action: delayed
    Remote-MTA: DNS; mx5.biz.mail.yahoo.com
    Last-Attempt-Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2010 19:16:21 -0700 (PDT)
    Will-Retry-Until: Mon, 25 Oct 2010 15:13:43 -0700 (PDT)

Default Re: FormMail not working, other mail delayed / not working - anyone else?

over the years i've been hanging out on these forums, a few people get into this sort of mess.

it's always the hosting providers problem

bottom line is this...once u have a simple test mail script working, it should keep working. if it doesn't, then ur host has to figure out why.

the problem can be at the sending or receiving end, so it's a good idea to have several test scripts sendign to different email addresses

if it all works, and then stops, either:

1. u changed something and broke things - therefore, keep backups of working code, and restore back to known working code.
    2. the host (receiver or sender) has changed something - therefore, keep ur known working test scripts and run them again to check

OR, just go to a better hosting provider where things "just work"....this sometimes means non-shared hosting (e.g. VPS) running Linux

Default Re: FormMail not working, other mail delayed / not working - anyone else?

On top of it, they are able to send a PHP email, from a script on our domain, to their own email addy
    can that test script send to an email address u setup at somewhere like gmail.com?

but we can't internally
    is ur "internal" addy also hosted by the same host, or external to them?

bottom line is the engineers can view their server email logs and see wot happens to the email (so they can prove whether it's left the sending server...if it has, then it's the receiving server at fault, if not, it's the sending server at fault).

Quote Originally Posted by crabtree View Post
    it's always the hosting providers problem
    Ya'think? LOL I'm a wee bit frustrated about the host and their 'we put PHP on our servers, but don't really support it' mentality. That and the fact that you would 'figure' that the 'big boys' would know what they're doing....

OK, just went back, made a modified PHP script to an email address outside of the server (ie Comcast) - and it WORKED just fine. However, the internal domain emails still are jacked. Bottom line, it's got to be their fault, but I haven't heard back from them as of yet.

I'm still stuck as to why the test. (ie 'testalert' - http://www.yourhost.com/formmail.php?testalert=1 ) doesn't work and won't send to the email any errors or anything. it's like it's dead or something. oh well...

I update when i hear from Yahoo!
    -K-Pax

Thread Information