Thread: reverse captcha

Default reverse captcha

Hi, did you get it sorted out?

I added the reverse captcha random fields to the webform.
    I enabled it in the formmail script.
    I know it works up to a point because when i was setting it up, i had the random phrase in the wrong random field and i got an error message....

but i still got a spam email.

Any thoughts?

Default reverse captcha

don't forget that spam can be entered manually by a human

u need to consider whether there's been a signfcant change in the amount of spam ur getting

also, dont forget the other anti spam stuff available in formmail
    Last edited by russellr; 02-Aug-2011 at 06:23 AM. Reason: edit for move to new thread.

Default Re: ReCPTCHA verification fails

Thanks for pointing that out.

BTW Friday night i got 600 email attacks on my website. Did not find out till 9:00am next morning. They got in and loaded trojans on about eight files. I got the site cleaned up and the shopping cart running again. The form mail alerts shows all the attempts they used to get in the site. I just want to secure it the best that i can.

Default Re: ReCPTCHA verification fails

Quote Originally Posted by Abby View Post
    Thanks for pointing that out.

BTW Friday night i got 600 email attacks on my website. Did not find out till 9:00am next morning. They got in and loaded trojans on about eight files.
    bugger! do u know how they got in? email attacks via tectite formmail *won't* cause a break in, just junk in ur inbox

were u previously using a unsecure form processor?

I got the site cleaned up and the shopping cart running again. The form mail alerts shows all the attempts they used to get in the site. I just want to secure it the best that i can.
    good idea.

the anti-spam stuff in formmail protects the website owner from receiving junk email, but there's no worries about other security - server security comes from the fact that tectite has written secure PHP code - that's separate from anti spam features

Default Re: reverse captcha

The hacker sent about 600 emails via a webform. Each had a different attempt at trying to locate the path to a file such as .ini and searching for a password. The following is part of an alert that formmail sent:

"&emailBusiness=hacker@hacker.org&phone=075588888888&message=88888&Submit=Request%20information&derive_fields=email=emailBusiness,realname%20=%20name_first%20+%20name_last,Date=.\\./.\\./.\\./.\\./.\\./.\\./etc/passwd

User IP address was 115.182.38.194"

You can see the email address they used. The first four digits of the phone number are same as Gold Coast Australia. I made the mistake of quarantining the files that had the trojans. I will see if the webhost (lypha.com) can get them for me. The trojans may give me an insight into who it was.

Thread Information