Thread: Changing Servers

Default Changing Servers

I need to move the website that is using the encode/decode software. The server is an old Unix box with old apache/php4, etc. and is unmanaged now so I need to move it to a new managed server. The current server is a dedicated server to just this one website. I would like to put it on a shared server with its own IP. What do I need to do to be able to move the encode/decode software? It has been a few years since we first set this up and I cannot remember the details!
    Judy

Default Re: Changing Servers

Hi,

If you're just changing the server-side (FormMailEncoder), here are the steps:
    1. Get your form(s) working on the new server without encryption. This means just commenting out the "encode" hidden field.
    2. Confirm the the new server runs the same Operating System. If so, you can copy the binary of "fmencoder" across to the new server. Otherwise, you need to download the correct binary for your new Operating System (check our original email for the download links).
    3. In the $FILTERS setting of FormMail, you'll find the command line that calls "fmencoder". In that command line is a "-k" flag followed by a file name. That file contains your public key. Find the file on your old server. If using $SOCKET_FILTERS, look for the "file" value instead.
    4. Copy the public key file to the same location on your new server. If you had to change paths for the new server (which is common), you may need to adjust the file paths in $FILTERS (or $SOCKET_FILTERS) for the new server.
    Russell Robinson - Author of Tectite FormMail and FormMailDecoder
    http://www.tectite.com/

I FINALLY got this website moved to a new server. I am getting this error:
    Error=Filter "encode" failed (status 139) but I cannot figure out what error code 139 is.

The fmencoder is in the same directory as the old server and is also linux but latest version and I have the path correct. The pub key is the same one also. Can you tell me what this error code might mean?

Form works with the encode too.
    Judy

Hi,

This means the program has crashed. The usual cause is that the binary is corrupted, and this is often caused by uploading it with FTP ASCII mode instead of BINARY mode.

The other possibility is that you've uploaded a binary for a different operating system.

If neither of those is the issue, then it will need to be investigated.
    Russell Robinson - Author of Tectite FormMail and FormMailDecoder
    http://www.tectite.com/

thank you Russell - it was exactly that. I went back to the old server, downloaded the fmencoder as binary, then made sure it was uploaded as binary and it works now.

Judy

Thread Information