Thread: FormMail error message notification when add'l required fields aren't completed

Default FormMail error message notification when add'l required fields aren't completed

I'd like for the form user and myself to see a list of required fields that aren't completed. I need for other fields like "city", "state" and "level of satisfaction" to display, in an e-mail and on an alerts page, if they're missing in the form submission. So far a message was generated only for the "Your e-mail address" and "Your name" fields even after I inserted the other field names in the required value.

In my .html file: <input type="hidden" name="required" value="EmailAddr:Your email address","city:Your city","state:Your state", "income *:Type of income" />

A problem I've been having is that the elements for a single checkbox field must each have their own name. Otherwise only the last element will appear in the e-mail I receive if both boxes are checked. This appears to prevent an error message from displaying if the fields are missing. For example:

<input name="income bus" value="Bus inc or loss" input type="checkbox" /> Business income or loss<br />
    <input name="income rent" value="Rent royalty inc or loss" input type="checkbox" /> Rental or royalty income or loss<br />

In e-mail:

income_bus: 'Bus inc or loss'
    income_rent: 'Rent royalty inc or loss'

I tried inserting the field names in the required value using a wildcard character like "*" (see above), to include the input name variations. That didn't work.

Can someone please help me with this? Is there a way I can see all the responses to a given form question *and* for an error message to be displayed if an additional required field isn't completed?

Default Re: FormMail error message notification when add'l required fields aren't completed

Hi,

You should not have quotation marks around each individual field, just around the entire value. It should be:
    Code:
    value="EmailAddr:Your email address,city:Your city,state:Your state, income *:Type of income"

As for the checkbox problem, I'm not sure what's causing that. You should be able to have more than one checkbox with the same name, and if several are checked they should be displayed in your email results separated with a comma or whatever other "list separator" you've defined. Having said that, I would also get rid of the asterisk in the file name and remove any spaces as well.

ginger

Default Re: FormMail error message notification when add'l required fields aren't completed

Hi Ginger,

I did as you suggested with the quotation marks in the required values. It worked. The error message appeared showing the additional fields not completed.

As for the checkbox problem, I found the answer in the sampleform.htm file. The input name includes square brackets, e.g. name="colors[]", so that responses for alternate values display in the e-mail. I should've looked in that file to begin with.

Thank you very much for helping me solve these problems!

Gary

Thread Information