Thread: How to set the "From" field to nobody or empty for form results in v8.36?

Default How to set the "From" field to nobody or empty for form results in v8.36?

Hi there,
    I am testing version 8.36 and want to set the "From" field for the form results to be either empty (preferred) or "nobody". Version 8.34 displays "Nobody" using the defaults of the relevant variables in the script, but v8.36 uses either "email" or "realname" value of the person who fills out the form - this is not what we want; we want to either have an empty "from" field or have a descriptive name such as "Web Form Submission" for the "from" field when email is sent. I have tried to manipulate all the relevant "from" fields in the script without success. Is this possible to do at all with v8.36? Thanks in advance.

Default Re: How to set the "From" field to nobody or empty for form results in v8.36?

u can't have an empty From header....ur server will always add one

u can use mail_options FromAddr to set the address u want

Default Re: How to set the "From" field to nobody or empty for form results in v8.36?

Thanks for your reply. I understand the need for the "From" field, and the earlier version of FormMail has "Nobody" as the "From" field, which worked better for our purpose than using the form submitter's email or realname. I also tried "FromAddr" as one of the "mail_options", but the mail script only takes the first word from a phrase; it also adds our mail server domain to it to make up an invalid email address, so my "Web Form Submission" becomes "web@my.mail.server.domain" - this is not valid and could be confusing to our email recipients, who do not expect any "From" address from our public web forms. How to set up a generic value for the "From" field - Just simple descriptive text without making up a fake email address or just Nobody like in previous versions? I think the latest version of the script (8.36) narrows down the possible values for this field too much and hence makes it more difficult to customize.

Thread Information