Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Peculiar behavior

Default Peculiar behavior

Hi Russell

Just migrated to a different hosting company (fully managed VPS). Been with this company in the past so they have an excellent track record with me, hence reason for my returning.

I am assuming it is just a php setting on my server, just not sure what to look for or ask for.
    Scenario:
    Form start page such as http://www.elsographics.com/mugs/elso_mug.htm
    First time visiting (fresh browser not reading cache) Intentionally create an error by not specifying a quantity.
    Should trigger error page, but instead displays message "insession specified, but no data found in session"
    return to the initial form page (same browser session) repeat error and now properly calls the error page as it should.

Predictable, fresh browser not reading from cache results in "insession specified, but no data found in session"
    Revisit, browser reading from cache, functions properly.

Considering these are all functioning, working forms for many years, I have to assume something with my new VPS/PHP set up??

What should I look for or ask the hosting company?

Thank you
    Nelson

Default Re: Peculiar behavior

Hi,

There's an extremely long pause after clicking Next and the error being displayed.

That suggests there's something wrong on the server.

Also, is it a Windows server? If so, having some files in subfolders can cause problems with PHP sessions.

Please upload the attached two test scripts, and start the test by opening a URL to the first one.

Let me know what the results are.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Russell Robinson - Author of Tectite FormMail and FormMailDecoder
    http://www.tectite.com/

Test session files, success
    OS linux
    php version5

Points to note that might offer insight:
    Version of FM was using 8.23
    Was getting Error=Cannot return to page 1. The top page index is <undefined> message
    searched here and upgraded my FM to 8.35 and uploaded formmail-preconfig.inc.php to alleviate this error.

Didn't understand the cause of this error since never seen it before. Something in the new server triggered this.

Nelson

More info and to keep you in the loop.

Actual version of PHP is 5.3
    Server people claim that some of their clients had issues with 5.3 and I also recall back when we had issues going from version 4.x to 5.0.
    They are rolling back my php version to 5.2.17 to see if this helps.

They could not see any obvious server issue/setting issues.

Thank you
    Nelson

Problem solved w/info you might like to know.
    Issue was with PHP V5.3
    Rolled back to 5.2 cache issue fixed (still lagged some in form transition)
    Rolled back my FM to 8.23 from 8.35 and dropped the formmail-preconfig.inc.php - speed back to expected.

Previously, the combination of my FM v:8.23 and php v:5.3 resulted in Error=Cannot return to page 1. The top page index is <undefined>
    Upgrading to FM v:8.35 w/ php 5.3, using the formmail-preconfig.inc.php fixed this issue and increased lag time hitting an error page.
    But the cache issue still remained.

Must be a real hassle trying to keep things up-to-date, seems php is not all that much backward compatible...

Thank you
    Nelson

Hi,

Thanks for the update.

What was in the formmail-preconfig.inc.php file? You shouldn't need it unless there's a specific set of PHP code you need to run.

I suspect the problem with PHP 5.3 was this setting in:This must be disabled (set to 0) for advanced error handling to work properly.

Initial problem was when going backward in the form set, I was getting "Error=Cannot return to page 1. The top page index is <undefined>" which I searched the forum on. Didn't spend much time trying to understand the error, only looking for a fix. First time ever seeing it and also first time my FM V:8.23 was being handled by PHP v:5.3. In my search here I ran into this error linked to needing formmail-preconfig.inc.php. (or that was how I interpreted it anyway)

Seeing that formmail-preconfig.inc.php worked with the latest version of FM, I upgraded my script and sent this file to my server per what I was reading. Didn't know what it was for or why it was needed but it did correct the "Error=Cannot return to page 1. The top page index is <undefined>" error.

Whether the the error page issue was related to any of this or not, can't be sure as I have been working on cloning/refining FM forms going to use on http://www.1nhmugs.com/coffee_mugs.php

What was in ormmail-preconfig.inc.php? didn't look closely, was my understanding to just upload it, period.

Nelson

Hi,

The formmail-preconfig.inc.php feature is relatively new.

You would only use this if you have some specific reason to do so and with specific code inserted in it to perform whatever task you wanted it to do.

In other words, you don't just copy some random file for no reason.

Where did you get the file from and why were you using it?

Must have missed something here but this all came from this thread:

Nelson

Hi,

Right!

Yes, that was a way to set the use_only_cookies setting in PHP 5.3 so that it's compatible with error handling in FormMail.

And, I think you said it did stop the same problem. So, that's fine. You can use it for PHP 5.3. But, of course, if you have access to the server's php.ini file, you can just make the setting there instead.

But, you were still getting another issue with PHP 5.3.

So, for now, stick with what's working. If you need to upgrade (or is it downgrade? ) to PHP 5.3 then we'll have to look closely at what's going wrong.

Thread Information