Thread: ReCaptcha verify_failed error

Default ReCaptcha verify_failed error

Hi,

I'm struggling to get ReCaptcha working with my form at http://www.andrewrowell.com/contact.html

Without ReCaptcha, the form works as it should. When I test the form with ReCaptcha, though, I get an error message and an alert from FormMail regardless of whether the words typed in the ReCaptcha submission are correct or incorrect. If I leave the ReCaptcha submission blank, the form submits correctly and FormMail sends me an email with the data from the form.

The FormMail alert says:

The following error occurred in FormMail :
    verify_failed
    Error=Image verification string missing. This is probably a fault on the server.
    I've checked and rechecked that I've followed the implementation instructions.

The form:

Code:
    <form id="form_28" name="contact_form" onsubmit="return validate_form_28(this)" action="formmail.php" accept-charset="UTF-8" method="post" target="_self" enctype="multipart/form-data" style="margin:0;position:absolute;left:50px;top:310px;width:425px;height:616px;">
    <input type="hidden" name="recipients" value="enquiries@andrewrowell.com">
    <input type="hidden" name="subject" value="Contact form enquiry">
    <input type="hidden" name="derive_fields" value="imgverify=recaptcha_response_field">
    <div style="position:absolute;left:0px;top:129px;width:342px;height:18px;overflow:hidden;">
    <p class="Wp-Body-P"><span class="Body-C">How would you prefer us to contact you?</span></p>
    </div>
    <div style="position:absolute;left:257px;top:374px;width:163px;height:16px;white-space:nowrap;">
        <div class="Wp-Artistic-Body-P">
            <span class="Artistic-Body-C">* indicates required field</span></div>
    </div>
    <div style="position:absolute;left:0px;top:8px;width:111px;height:18px;overflow:hidden;">
    <p class="Wp-Body-P"><label for="edit_19"><span class="Body-C">Your name*:</span></label></p>
    </div>
    <input type="text" id="edit_19" name="name" value="" style="position:absolute; left:221px; top:8px; width:196px;">
    <div style="position:absolute;left:0px;top:38px;width:158px;height:18px;overflow:hidden;">
    <p class="Wp-Body-P"><label for="edit_20"><span class="Body-C">Your organisation:</span></label></p>
    </div>
    <input type="text" id="edit_20" name="organisation" value="" style="position:absolute; left:221px; top:38px; width:196px;">
    <div style="position:absolute;left:0px;top:68px;width:181px;height:18px;overflow:hidden;">
    <p class="Wp-Body-P"><label for="edit_21"><span class="Body-C">Your email address*:</span></label></p>
    </div>
    <input type="text" id="edit_21" name="email" value="" style="position:absolute; left:221px; top:68px; width:196px;">
    <div style="position:absolute;left:0px;top:99px;width:205px;height:18px;overflow:hidden;">
    <p class="Wp-Body-P"><label for="edit_22"><span class="Body-C">Your telephone number:</span></label></p>
    </div>
    <input type="text" id="edit_22" name="phone" value="" style="position:absolute; left:221px; top:99px; width:196px;">
    <div style="position:absolute;left:39px;top:155px;width:84px;height:18px;overflow:hidden;">
    <p class="Wp-Body-P"><label for="radio_49"><span class="Body-C">By email:</span></label></p>
    </div>
    <input type="radio" id="radio_49" name="contact_select" VALUE="pref_email" style="position:absolute; left:139px; top:152px;">
    <div style="position:absolute;left:39px;top:185px;width:89px;height:18px;overflow:hidden;">
    <p class="Wp-Body-P"><label for="radio_50"><span class="Body-C">By phone:</span></label></p>
    </div>
    <input type="radio" id="radio_50" name="contact_select" VALUE="pref_phone" style="position:absolute; left:139px; top:183px;">
    <div style="position:absolute;left:0px;top:216px;width:139px;height:18px;overflow:hidden;">
    <p class="Wp-Body-P"><label for="text_2"><span class="Body-C">Your message*:</span></label></p>
    </div>
    <textarea id="text_2" name="message" rows="7" cols="50" style="position:absolute; left:0px; top:242px; width:420px; height:124px;"></textarea>
    <input type="submit" style="position:absolute; left:128px; top:581px; width:81px; height:22px;" name="submit" value="Submit">
    <input type="reset" style="position:absolute; left:217px; top:581px; width:76px; height:22px;" name="reset" value="Reset">
    <div style="position:absolute;left:0px;top:408px;width:420px;height:172px;">
        <script type="text/javascript"
             src="http://www.google.com/recaptcha/api/challenge?k=key obscured for the forum">
          </script>
          <noscript>
             <iframe src="http://www.google.com/recaptcha/api/noscript?k=key obscured for the forum"
                 height="300" width="500" frameborder="0"></iframe><br>
             <textarea name="recaptcha_challenge_field" rows="3" cols="40">
             </textarea>
             <input type="hidden" name="recaptcha_response_field"
                 value="manual_challenge">
          </noscript>
    </div>
    </form>
    From my formmail.php file:

Code:
    $REQUIRE_CAPTCHA = "You must type in the characters";

$RECAPTCHA_PRIVATE_KEY = "key obscured for the forum";
    My formmail.php file and recaptchalib.php file are in the same directory on the server, and I've checked permissions on the recaptchalib.php file. I've also checked that I haven't mixed up the public and private keys.

I'd appreciate some help.

Thanks!

Default Re: ReCaptcha verify_failed error

Hi,

Nothing obvious seems to be wrong with your setup.

The first thing to check is that the copy of FormMail actually being used does have 'REQUIRE_CAPTCHA' set.

I'd recommend downloading that copy and checking in Windows Notepad or similar.

Also, rename it on the server, and then the form shouldn't submit at all. This proves you're working with the copy you think the form is using.

If none of that helps, please send access details to your server using this secure form:
    Russell Robinson - Author of Tectite FormMail and FormMailDecoder
    http://www.tectite.com/

Default Re: ReCaptcha verify_failed error

Hi Russell,

Thanks for your speedy response.

I checked the version of formmail.php on the server and *doh* it didn't have either 'REQUIRE_CAPTCHA' set, or my private key entered. I've fixed this now and the form works fine, of course.

I suspect that the application I'm using to build my site (which publishes directly to the server) hasn't updated formmail.php when I thought it had. I forgot to check timestamps before I overwrote the non-working version, so I can't be sure - but I'll check this.

And next time, I'll check my settings against the version on the server rather than my local copy. Lesson learned

Thank you.

Thread Information