Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: getting HTTP_REFERRER to a form

Default Re: getting HTTP_REFERRER to a form

only by making ur whole site php (or similar) and using a session to track the visitors

How does the ISP manage to capture the referring page when they log it for my daily stats? Surely it must be captured at the point somebody enters the site and then stored for the stats. Would it not be possible to access that somehow?

Or another thought: Can I capture a number of refferals, such as referer-1, referer-2 etc so I end up with a list of say the last 10 referals? At least that way I would get what I need somewhere in the list.

Cheers,
    Dave.

the webserver software creates log files

the stats programs interpret the log files

if you can access them (ur hosting provider lets u) then u can process them to get the info u want

doesnt ur stats tell u this info?

Can I capture a number of refferals, such as referer-1, referer-2 etc so I end up with a list of say the last 10 referals? At least that way I would get what I need somewhere in the list.
    afaik, theres only one referrer to any given page

My stats do tell me where people that use my site are coming from, but Id like to bridge the gap and find out where the people that get as far as sending off the form have come from. Obviously I am interested to know where every user comes from, but Im even more interested to know where the people come from that have really liked my services enough to send off the form.

Do you think there would be any way of linking the IP address of the form user to the stats that my ISP can provide? Im pretty sure that I would be able to get access to the stat files (they're stored in my site folders). Can you advise me how I would do this as Id' be a bit lost from here?

Thanks,
    Dave.

Do you think there would be any way of linking the IP address of the form user to the stats that my ISP can provide?
    yes

Im pretty sure that I would be able to get access to the stat files (they're stored in my site folders). Can you advise me how I would do this as Id' be a bit lost from here?
    option 1: buy some books on programming using PHP or Shell scripting (if ur server is Unix/Linix), start reading and in a few weeks you should be able to do it (unless u have absolutely no aptitude for programming)

option 2: hire a programmer to do it for u. to get a good quote, write down exactly wot u want. if u cant write down wot u want (coz u dont know), then youll have to pay an hourly rate (unless u can find a stupid programmer)

The $_SERVER['HTTP_REFERER']; code isn't working for my Internet Explorer users, it just leave the field blank.

Any ideas?

Hi,

Are you browsing to the page that has the form, or just opening the form page in the browser without coming to it from another page? If you're doing the latter, it explains why there's no referrer.

ginger

Quote Originally Posted by ginger23 View Post
    Hi,

Are you browsing to the page that has the form, or just opening the form page in the browser without coming to it from another page? If you're doing the latter, it explains why there's no referrer.

ginger
    On each of our product pages (which unfortunately are iFrames) has a link to the enquiry form. I click on those links which loads the form in a pop-up.

In Firefox it works perfectly but in IE it leaves the field blank.

Hmmm, sorry can't help you on that one.

Quote Originally Posted by mark7144 View Post
    The $_SERVER['HTTP_REFERER']; code isn't working for my Internet Explorer users, it just leave the field blank.

Any ideas?
    do u mean it doesnt work for u when u use IE or do u mean it doesnt work for every IE user?

it sounds like IE has some security feature thats not sending the referrer

maybe a call to microsoft?

Thread Information